Sunday, August 1, 2010

Noel Learns a New Skill


Noel with her ball.

It is always exciting when an Angel learns a new skill. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought about the ramifications of Noel learning certain skills. For example, my daughter Anna and I have been trying to teach Noel to throw a ball for eight years. Three months ago she finally got the idea and starting letting go of the ball and throwing it.

What I didn't think through was that Noel wouldn't just stop with throwing balls. She throws everything. Since she is super strong, she also throws heavy objects. Yes, she has hurt us a few times when we weren't looking. What I am more concerned about is that she started throwing everything at school. She goes to a special services school and the children in her class don't know to watch out for her, and duck when she throws an object.

Noel is not trying to be mean. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She just doesn't understand that you are only suppose to throw balls. I can't yell at her, or punish her for throwing other objects. I just hope it doesn't take years to teach her what is appropriate to throw, and what isn't. Until then we will have to keep an eye out for flying baby dolls, toy cars, and fake food.

PS. I should mention the positive. Noel's DDD behaviorist was extremely proud of Noel and surprised at how she throws like a pitcher in the major league. She even has a wind up before she throws. So cute!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog entry. I pray she learns soon.

    ReplyDelete