Today I had the pleasure of visiting the dentist (I'm being sarcastic). As I was watching the dentist prepare all of the tools she'd need to drill in my mouth for the next 20 minutes, I was reminded that the preparation isn't much different from my morning routine for Noel.
The dentist needed to have all of the tools at arms length so that she could just grab each instrument quickly. I have to do the same thing with Noel, or risk her running away before I'm finished getting her ready.
Here is how Operation: Get Noel Ready for School works.
1. Lay out Noel's outfit, which must include a matching hipperbib.
2. Lay out a diaper, wipes, and diaper cream if needed.
3. Set out the bucket of hair supplies.
4. Get the DAFOs (leg braces), special sneakers, and a pair of socks out.
5. Grab Noel and attempt to put all of these things on her without calling Anna down to help, which rarely happens.
6. Place Noel's seizure pills in a yogurt and get her to eat it, which isn't always easy considering she doesn't like to eat anything before 10 am. Sometimes I'll try to pour Kondremel (laxative) over the yogurt and get her to take that at the same time.
The operation continues with Anna babysitting Noel so that I can get her bookbag ready for school. This includes diapers, wipes, an extra outfit, a Sophie Smock for use when eating, her pressure vest, the communication folder, and her lunch box. The lunch box must have a breakfast and two lunches because she usually won't eat the breakfast.